The Nups

A place where John & Heidi can write about the marriage; all the organization, all the emotional stuff, and anything else that should fit here. We might not update a lot now, as the wedding part is done, done done!

Monday, November 07, 2005

The dad conversation

Heidi and I have been talking for quite a while about whether or not we should do something about this. We spoke to my pastor recently, and he suggested a book we could go through, and we've been closing in on some details. Anyway, Last weekend I asked her parents for Heidi's hand in marriage. Her dad said, "Well, you gotta ask her." I explained that yes, I knew that, but I wanted their blessing. They then both said that I have it, as if there was no question. Her mother was very sure to make clear that Heidi was her oldest . They were also very sure to make it clear that I was part of the family, in a barely metaphorical sense. Meaning, I am now their son, before I've officially asked Heidi.

And this may seem strange to a lot of people. We're doing a lot of stuff now, before I've officially asked Heidi. She doesn't have a ring yet (more on that in a bit), and I haven't actually proposed to her. But we both know that is the intention of where we're going. We've spent a very long time discussing and rehashing where we are, how we feel, and what our future is. The proposal is really, a bit of a formality. It's a necessary formality, but we're pretty determined.

Anyway, obstacle 1 is down: The obstacle that doesn't cost any money. The rest are going to take a bit of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home